Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Busting a Few Myths.

As of February 2009, there will no longer be an issuance of ARCs to dual Nationals in Taiwan.
There are several conditions to this new law.

*Forfeiture of Household Registry
*Proof that Military Service has been completed

Now I know what you are all thinking, but before making rash choices.

Alright now let me start to say this, Taiwanese people are usually very ignorant about these immigration laws and compulsory service Laws. So lets Bust some myths

Myth: I was born in Taiwan, and I have an American citizenship. Therefore they can't bust me

Fact: EHHHHH YOU COULD NOT BE ANYMORE WRONG. ALSO DON'T LISTEN TO YOUR BONEHEAD RELATIVES that always tell you, "Oh you're a US citizen they can't find you". Lets Break this down

a.) In order to apply for American Citizenship, you must present your previous ID. In short once the airport counters input your US ID BOOM your Taiwan ID number shows up RIGHT THERE. Your US passport and your TW ID numbers are intertwined in their computer systems.

b.) The moment you enter with that passport, you are considered "Overseas Chinese" that has residence abroad. Therefore you cannot be drafted immediately unless you establish residency.

Myth 2: Well if I enter on my US passport there is no way. I am not in the ROC system

Fact: Every person born to ROC parents is an ROC citizen. While Takeshi Kaneshiro is not due to the fact he has a Japanese Dad, guess what if you were born in Taiwan to a Taiwanese parent, YOU are an ROC citizen. You are issued an ID number which is FOREVER. You are NEVER out off the system and you never will BE out off the system unless you cancel your citizenship. Pretty much your ID number is for life and just because you are out off the country it doesn't mean you stop being a ROC citizen. When you enter without the ROC Passport, All it means is you can't apply for an ROC ID CARD. IT DOESN'T MEAN YOUR RECORDS ARE WIPED CLEAN. If you leave America for 10 years and come back, are you automatically not a citizen anymore? That's a rhetorical question, the answer is NO.

Myth 3: Oh yeah, I became a US citizen. Therefore I renounced my ex country's citizen so BOO YAH

Fact: NO you didn't. Second of all if you look at the AIT(De facto US embassy) go ahead search up "AIT and Compulsory Military service" in Google. The AIT claims the US DOES not only recognize DUAL CITIZENSHIP, but it would not save you from being dragged into the army should you be called on upon. Not only that the AIT has also clearly stated that you are at the mercy of TAiwan and must comply BY their laws.


Myth 4: Well I am going to be a smart guy and Renounce my ROC citizenship. kekeke

Fact: HAHAHA nice try, because as a male you can only renounce that shit when you finish the army. Oh you still don't want to do the army? Well the alternatives of losing your ROC citizenship are much worse, such as commiting criminal acts or treason. You could also just go to jail too for ducking it. Now that's not worth the hassle is it?

Final Important Reminders: Remember these rules seriously affect you. The best remedy for unpleasant situations is usually AWARENESS of your environment. Remember many of your parents and grandparents or relatives that feed you BS that US citizens can't be drafted, are usually ignorant of TW laws and regulations. I myself have been told stuff like "Oh you can't be drafted because you are a US citizen" No that's wrong and if I wasn't skeptical, I'd probably be in military uniform right now. (That's not a bad THING but I'd rather waste a year doing paper work at the army after I get a graduate degree).

No comments:

Post a Comment