Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Household Registry Expanded and the ROC ID Card.

So, who can get an ROC ID card. Now this is a complex issue, since this is not ONLY just for citizens. Overall it should be no problem for you to get a TW ID card.

I.)Discovering your residency
Now the tricky part is, coming up. Actually it's not that damn tricky at all.
First of all, before you go, please ask your parents or someone who knows where you last lived in Taiwan.

NOTE: The place where you are registered might NOT even be your actual residence in Taiwan. There are plenty of people who are registered in one place, but never resided there. Ex,) My friend's nephews were registered at his house, BUT they continuosly resided elsewhere.

So if your parents keep good paperwork records, you will find out where you were last registered.

Once you found out, Please bring two passport photos and your ROC passport. It's that easy.

Photos, are roughly 2 x 2 (Two inches and two inches)
1.) They cannot show TEETH
2.) They must show the shoulders
3.) Also you must see both ears clearly

Once again, I am a big fan of bringing Id documents. It's probably excessive but, better safe than sorry. Bring stuff proving TW citizenship, such as the BIRTH CERTIFICATE.



II.) Getting the ID card.

I haven't personally done this, but I have asked the Taiwan Offices. First of all please go to the household registration offices to apply for your ID card (THIS IS DONE BY DISTRICTS. LIKE HSINYI, WANHUA, DAAN, NEIHU). It's very easy to find the location of the household registration office on google.

Note: For me I need to run ALL the way to Kaoshiung from Taipei to get my shit done. F*CK oh well.....

Also,just go there and tell them you'd like to update your status and apply for a TW ID card.
Paper work will be filled out, and it's probably going to do be done awfully quickly too


Additional Recommendations:

1.) My level of Chinese isn't bad but if yours isn't,bring someone reliable to help you out.
2.) If you don't have records of where you once lived in Taiwan, you might be shit out off luck. However, most of your parents are probably responsible enough to keep records. They probably will have a general idea where you were once registered. You can always call your local household registry office to confirm things.
3.) ALSO NOTE: IF YOU ENTER TAIWAN IN YOUR US OR FOREIGN PASSPORT YOU CANNOT APPLY FOR A TW ID CARD.

1 comment:

  1. Hi ABC man,

    I just want to say THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for your blog posts. They contain a LOT of the answers I have been searching for and have cleared up quite some confusions I've had. With mere elementary level Chinese, I've spent hours struggling through "formal" Chinese language only to arouse more confusion at the end. I want you to know how much I appreciate these blog posts and I'm sure they will continue to benefit many others like us.

    I have read through all of your blog posts, but there are still some questions I have regarding my specific circumstance. Would you be willing to answer some of my questions via email? If so, please email me at kev.hou@gmail.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

    Thank you!
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete